Tuesday, January 24, 2012

DRAWING WITH A COFFEE STIRRER STICK!


I received a comment today on this little video that I did awhile ago.  The music is by Tom Rigney, called "The House of the Setting Sun" (I think!)  I often like to take my walk while listening to this album.  It gets me moving.  His group is called Flambeau and is Zydeco music but it also reminds me of Klezmer music.

I am starting a 10 week, 20 painting series and have been doing some preliminary drawings.  I have the first two paintings planned out in my head.  They will be done before Monday.  One of them will have Chinese brush drawing in it.  It has been a long time since I have practiced that particular skill.  I have a Buddha Board to practice on.  You make a brush stroke with just water on the brush and it darkens the paper where touched.  The mark slowly dries and fades away.  This is a great way for me to practice without going through loads of ink and paper.  I should have something to post by tomorrow night.

10 comments:

Ann Buckner said...

Thanks for sharing this video. It was a pleasure to watch you draw, admiring the way you placed a stroke, paused to look, then proceeding on with the next stroke.

Autumn Leaves said...

Myrna, I so enjoy your blog and your methods. Your end results are spectacular. I believe I recognize your husband here?

Annie said...

Thank you for sharing. I love it!

Doris in Texas said...

Myrna: I have recently been following your blog, and my insight has expanded greatly to say the least. Many thanks for sharing. The only problem I see is that I am in Texas, and not nearly close enough to take your workshop. :( I will get your book as a substitute and any videos I can find. The sound track to the 'Drawing with Coffee Stick' is amazing. The song is 'The House of the Rising Sun'. One of best songs of all time, in my opinion. I am hooked on your blog!! Now to practice, practice, practice, and more practice! Doris Walters,Georgetown, TX

Jo Murray said...

Watching you draw is like taking a class Myrna... thanks.

Michelle Himes said...

Myrna, I really enjoyed watching you do this sketch. You performed magic with that coffee stirrer! Your contour drawing skills are awesome!

BTW, the song is "House of the Rising Sun", which I just recently learned to play on piano, although the arrangement on your video sounded much more interesting than the arrangement in my level 2 piano book.

David Lobenberg said...

Madame, you kick butt drawing with that coffee stirrer stick!!

Jeanette Jobson said...

I love watching others draw, its endlessly fascinating. And with a stir stick! You always inspire.

Also I had not heard of a Buddha Board before. Now I need to buy one, it would be perfect for drawing practice.

Mike said...

Looks like George James to me! Very interesting to watch you make every line express something!

Sharon Lynn Williams Fine Art said...

Great Video Myrna!! Thank you so much for taking the time to post all these -you are a really rare gem. I recognized George James right away -he has some great expressions -I have several shots of him from his demo myself!

Related Posts with Thumbnails