Saturday, July 9, 2011

THE PERFECT STORM!


I think I have found the perfect material that combines all the ways I like to work!  I think of it as the perfect storm.  The Inktense Blocks allow me to draw, paint with both subtlety and intensity, and incorporate the look of pastel.  Pastel has been a favorite art material for years but I do very little because I don't like all the dust that can be breathed in and it seems vulnerable too smearing unless matted and framed.  I like that watercolor or acrylic on paper can be so easily stored.  Watercolor crayons look pasty when  dissolved with water and Watercolor Sticks look gorgeous when dissolved with water but stick and drag when trying to draw with them.

This is a painting I partially covered over with collaged torn newspaper.  I drew the basic abstract shapes with a permanent marker, painted in the white shapes with gesso, then proceeded to finish the painting with  the Inktense Blocks and gesso.   I purposefully distorted the image.  I think I may have gotten a little carried away with the distortion, but it was a fun image to play with.  

On another note, it has been brought to my attention that airline prices to Europe are almost half of what I paid a few months ago.  There is still time to sign up if you are interested in my Belgium trip through French Escapades.  Drawing and painting in Bruge is going to be fabulous!

9 comments:

Jo Murray said...

Love the effect of this technique! Well dne.

Autumn Leaves said...

Oh, I do love this one, Myrna! Is this your husband, the model!! I so wish I could go along on your Belgium trip! I don't remember reading about it but I sure can imagine what an amazing trip it will be!

Sadami said...

Hi, Myrna,
Very happy for you that found a material. Your work always inspires me and your challenge spirits encourages me so much. Please keep on and lead us. Enjoy Europe!
Cheers,Sadami

Anonymous said...

Well done! Does the color come off on your fingers?

Anonymous said...

Well Done! Do you find the color comes off on your fingers?

Geri said...

The distortion really drew me to this piece! Love it - would also like to try working with the Inktense blocks!

Sharon Lynn Williams Fine Art said...

Hi Myrna: Just wanted to give you a heads up that Inktense are not archival -they will fade with age. I did a lot of research on these until I found out the info. As they are dye based and not pigment based, they are fugitive. Very unfortunate as I love them as well. Perhaps a coat of a UVLS varnish would help, after coating it with a spray to seal?
Sharon

Ruth Armitage said...

@ Sharon, Thanks for sharing this! That was one of the questions I was going to ask... So unfortunate! It looks like they are wonderful to use...

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thank you all for your comments. The blocks come off on your hands if the material is wet. Otherwise, no. I checked the color fastness of this material and all are colorfast except for 3 reds. Mostly I plan to use them in travel sketch books and as a drawing material in paintings. I usually don't draw with red. You would think in this day and age, manufacturers would be producing only light fast materials. Thanks for calling it to my attention.

Related Posts with Thumbnails