Thursday, August 5, 2010

BROMMER CHANNELS DIEBENKORN: WORKSHOP DAY 3

Different compositional strategies are about ways of creating movement in the painting to lead the eye to the focal point.  Day 3 was working with a design concept associated with many of Robert Deibenkorn's painting.  This is a composition that only works well horizontally.  There is a very large space(described as expanded or feeling like it wants to expand) either top or bottom, a band across the opposite end of the painting, for containment and a narrow area (compressed between the two ) which becomes the focal point. I call this design construct "compression".  This is a great design for paintings that feature lots of sky and a very low horizon line if the expansive shape is on the top. I was able to do three, the first being my favorite.  There were many handsome pieces created with this format in the class.  We were working on300 lb watercolor paper cut 11" x 11".   Check out the slide show and find your favorite!

5 comments:

Cynthia a.k.a. Cynnie said...

Wonderful work...your 3 are gorgeous!!! Love the slide show too....thanks so much for all this inspiration!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna, Wow! All the pieces look stunning! Must be exciting to participate in such a wonderful workshop.

RH Carpenter said...

All three of these are beautifully done, but my fave is the first - that really pulled me in when I saw the little icon on my sidebar = a good, strong composition. Oooo, I see you going places with this workshop and it will be fun to follow along.

Leada Wood said...

Very nice works. Was Helen Gwinn in the workshop? I thought I recognized some of her work. I especially loved yours of the images...it was my favorite, very soulful. Thanks for sharing!

Michelle Himes said...

Your workshop seems to be following along a similar path to the one I took a few years ago. I liked the "expansion and compression" designs. Your second two look very "landscape-ish", and my favorite is the middle one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails