Wednesday, December 16, 2009

FINE TUNED AND READY TO MAT!


I think this is finished, now. You may not be able to see any changes, but it is the little touches here and there that can make the difference. I fixed a few highlights, corrected the shape of the lips, changed the color of the shadow under the nose, softened a dark shadow by the nose and integrated the garment with the rest of the painting. This image is the closest to accurate color of the actual painting, but it seems to be impossible to get it perfectly matched. For my purposes, this is good enough.

Someone suggested a slide show of the steps to this painting and I liked that idea. I hope this inspires you to rework a piece of watercolor paper into something totally different.

9 comments:

Ginny Stiles said...

I am definitely going to have to learn how to do a slide show. That was very fun. Interesting to me is that almost any of the the slides could have been a finished painting to me. Can you remind me...is this acrylic? I always learn so much on your blog!!!

Sandy Maudlin said...

Those subtle changes make a great difference - and it's got a vitality to it that grabs my eye. Superb!

Cynthia said...

-wow, this is amazing...it turned out beautifully! Thanks for the slide show too ;)

Unknown said...

Fabulous, Myrna! What I like about this is that each iteration is a strong painting that can stand alone as such and not just a transitional stage. The final painting is masterful as a result. Thanks so much for sharing this!

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna, I think this is a powerful portrait; full of drama and contemplation. Hmm, can that happen at the same time? You have me thinking about recycling some from my hold stack....Wonderful!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Ginny, making a slide show is very simple and fun to do. Go to slide.com and follow the prompts for making a slide show. You can post it on your blog, web site, Facebook etc. This painting is tissue collage over a watercolor painting. The top layer of drawing and coloring was done with watercolor crayons. I will seal it with Acrylic spray to give it some UV protection.

Thanks Sandy, Cynthia, Kathy and Peggy for the kind comments. All of you do such amazing work. I appreciate the compliments.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Your ATC's are so wonderful, Myrna! What a great group to be involved with. Having that kind of support and friendship is so important to a creative person, I think. Thanks for sharing.

RH Carpenter said...

My slideshow wasn't working the other day when I tried to see this but it's fine now. Really enjoyed seeing this one come from such abstraction to the final beautiful, very strong portrait. Has anyone told you today that YOU ROCK? Well, you do!

David Lobenberg said...

The final looks great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails