Sunday, November 22, 2009

2 DOWN, 18 TO GO!




Continuing with my series, here is the final result of today's work. I created a slide show of the steps. I included some details as well. I am really enjoying working in a vertical position. I can see accurately and can step back periodically and take a better look. I also like letting gravity do it's job. I made some changes in this collage. I started with the printed instruction and then drew the image with a fine brush and Venetian Brown Hydrus liquid paint. I was surprised it didn't run and stuck to the surface well. Since I had used undiluted mat medium to stick the paper down, I wasn't sure the watercolor would take. The next step was adding some of the tissue pattern. While I was doing this, the idea of paper dolls popped into my head, so I cut a doll chain from tissue paper and stuck some of those down. I liked how this looked. In the end, you really don't see them. I did do some negative painting around them with the Venetian brown but it all pretty much disappeared in the end. I decided to do an overall wash of diluted gesso to push back the importance of the printed paper. While the paper was still damp, I redrew the lines with a Daniel Smith watercolor stick and then started painting. I think I have found the perfect way of working with these paint sticks. I can draw and paint at the same time. I really loved being able to work this way! The line quality was interesting because it dragged in places that were dry. I could also wet it and blot to lift back if I got too much color on because of the mat medium coated paper. I decided not to use a black line this time. I am happier with the more colorful version. Not much evidence of a grid. I will emphasis that more in future pieces. Overall, I think this was a successful days work.

10 comments:

Cindy said...

I think you are so so talented! I really admire your work. I can't wait to see what you do next. Have a wonderful day. take care.

Cynthia said...

This is fantastic! Thanks so much for the slide show too...I loved watching it. Your work inspires me tremendously.

Donna B. said...

This is so cool....you inspire me to try a self portrait. Something I have never done...You are so talented and unique!

DonnaMcm said...

Myrna, these are so fabulous and the slide show was great. Thank you for sharing your talents and techniques with all of us.

Pattie Wall said...

I appreciate watching the steps to creating such a wonderful portrait! Makes ME want to experiment with this medium and see the outcome! Very nice!

Unknown said...

Very cool process, Myrna! And, I like your slide show. It'll be interesting to see where this leads.

Bobbie J. said...

These last two paintings are wonderful. You must have a great time with all the experimental techniques, and then to have such a great final outcome. It tickled me to see you using the vintage Vogue Couture patterns They go for big bucks on e-bay and vintage pattern sites. A hidden value in your paintings!

Karen Reimer said...

Super once again.. You inspire to get up off my B and go to work.. Cold here with snow ... But no excuse right

Paintings by Patricia said...

Wonderful series..and great expression in the portraits.

wandamarie said...

Myrna, I love your work, and particularly this technique. I have linked your blog to my recent post about my first self portrait done in our watercolor class using this method. The work of each student was truly expressive and wonderful. Thanks for the inspiration!

Related Posts with Thumbnails