Monday, June 29, 2009

GUALALA WORKSHOP DEMO: PROFILE


This is the demonstration I did for the workshop for the second painting, a profile. It is on Tyvek paper using Dr. Martin's Hydrus liquid watercolor.

I spent a few hours today clearing photos off my laptop and onto the auxiliary hard drive so I can download all the photos I took last week. Then I can create a slide show. I am trying to move the photos into electronic folders so I can find images by categories. This is taking lots more time than I would like, but I think it is necessary. I will probably save time in the long run by not having to go through all the photos to find the ones I want. It is the curse of the digital age.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna, Your portrait has such an interesting expression. The fibers of the paper give it an ethereal feel. Wonderful!

Meera Rao said...

I love the delicate look of the painting! Do you seal the paintings that you do on Tyvek? If so, with what and how? Does Tyvek change (bulge or warp) when exposed to heat since its synthetic material--and can you use a hairdryer to dry the paints or wait for it dry naturally?

Thanks in advance :)

Myrna Wacknov said...

Thanks, Peggy, for the nice words.
Meera, I only seal the paper if the paint stays "sticky". This can happen on Tyvek and also YUPO if I don't dilute the full strength liquid watercolor with a touch of water. If I seal it, I use an acrylic spray so I don't disturb the paint. Do it outside with plenty of ventilation because it has lots of fumes. Let it air out before taking it in a car, etc.
Be careful with a hair dryer as it is a plastic paper. I like how the paint continues to mingle on the surface, so I don't want to dry it fast. It will dry by evaporation . How fast depends on the atmospheric conditions and how much liquid is on the surface. Have fun!

Meera Rao said...

Thanks so much for the info! I am just getting a handle on how regular watercolor paper and paint work :) I guess I should just take the plunge and experiment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails