Tuesday, March 10, 2009

MEMORIAL TRIBUTE TO AL ZERRIES


I just learned today that Al Zerries died. I was surprised because I didn't think he was that old. Sadly, it was a tragic accident. There is a memorial tribute to him on the Watercolor artist blogsite with a slide show of his work. Here is the link to his website. http://www.alzerriesart.com/ That's where I got this image "Velvet". It is my favorite of his. I like what he did with the hair! I never had the opportunity to meet Mr. Zerries, but I have admired his beautiful watercolor portraits from the first time I saw them. On his website, there is an oil painting of Al looking over the shoulder of Burton Silverman at the easel. I can see the influence of the master painter in Zerries work.

The art world, and especially the watercolor art world, has lost another talented painter before his time. It brings to mind two thoughts about life. The first is we don't know how long we have, so I had better not waste any of this percious time with procrastination and unsatisfying activities. The other thought is that, as artists, we leave behind a wonderful legacy of our time on earth and a little piece of ourselves. We will be remembered for all that we shared with the world for generations to come.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Myrna for remembering and sharing this fabulous Artist with us.I recognises the image you sent it is so striking.
As you say life is very precious and short . Every morning I feel blessed and excited when I wake up and I have a full day ahead to follow my passion for creating Art.

Anonymous said...

am not sure what is wrong but i can't get the memorial address to come up. says it cant be found.
it is sad to lose such a great artist!

Myrna Wacknov said...

Jane, you are creating a wonderful legacy with your vibrant images. Your passion shows!

Sorry about the link. Turns out only blogs link under the title so I adjusted the post with the website for Al Zerries. Check it out. He did some amazing portraits.

Ginny Stiles said...

Myra...I have bookmarked your blog and it is one of 4 that I look at regularly. I too remember the image you posted of Zerries' work. It is amazing. And I am SO sad to hear about what has happend.
Thanks again for a good art blog.
ginny

Anonymous said...

Al Zerries, a long-time member of the Watercolor Society of Alabama, was to have a painting in the WSA National Show opening on March 29. As president of WSA, I called Mrs. Zerries to express my condolences. She said that she will not be sending Al's painting to the show, which is understandable. The members of WSA are chipping in to create a memorial award to Al Zerries. The Al Zerries Memorial Award will go to a painting designated by our juror, Gordon West. Anyone wishing to contribute to this memorial award can do so by e-mailing me with your pledge at rembrantley@hotmail.com . Your check can be mailed later. We will miss him and his beautiful paintings.

Nick said...

I heard about that, and what a loss.He was one a handful of the best portrait-figure painters out there, I've been blown away a number of times by his work...he's done some masterpieces like The Wall.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

I have always loved this painting as well. Your thoughts about time and legacy are so true.

erica said...

Al was a fabulous man, a wonderful painter, a great friend. His death is a huge loss.

Unknown said...

He was a dear friend, I think of him often

Related Posts with Thumbnails