Saturday, February 21, 2009

THE FIRST GESSO TRANSFER PAINTING


While I am on the road, I thought I would share the first gesso transfer painting I did. I think this process came about because I didn't want to waste the gesso that coated the wax paper after I used it to texture another painting. Then when I was done with transferring the gesso to the watercolor paper, I thought the wax paper had possibilities as a collage material! Talk about recycling! I have saved it but I'm not sure how wax paper will hold up under matt medium. Knowing me, I will probably give it a try and see what happens.

This is a favorite of mine. I am considering entering it into a competition. The only negative is that it is a very small painting. I think I will go for it anyway! I'm looking for a title. If you have an idea send it my way by sharing in the comments section.

12 comments:

Cathy Gatland said...

This is a wonderful portrait - love the textures, layers and colours - and the way that you're recycling everything to the max! Thanks for the explanation on how to do this - I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Nancy Standlee said...

Title suggestion "Ready for Change"
Hello, MW, bet it gets an award whatever the size or title.

Anonymous said...

I just love the textures and colors, how about "Rainbow Man" or "Man of many colors"? doesn't matter what size, they say!

Anonymous said...

He looks mysterious and contemplative to me...hmmm..."Mystery Man"? I enjoy the wonderful texture and mood of this portrait.

David Lobenberg said...

I'm not sure about the spelling on this, but my title suggestion is "Rasta Man".

David Lobenberg said...

Or howbout "The Age of Aquarius"?

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

This technique hust gets more and more interesting. Why not something along the lines of RECYCLED AURA as I see all these lights around the figures head and you could not recycle your artwork and materials more?? You say its small, I think it would look great in a very wide mount concentrating the viewer down to all that colour.

Ann Buckner said...

There is so much in this painting. When I view it, I see emergence of strength, compassion and a bit of sadness. "Alchemy" is the word that came to mind for a title.

Anonymous said...

wow, gotta love that gesso effect.
Great work!!

Janice Edwards said...

I like "Blue Halo" as a title. Thanks for the image - inspires me to do some more gesso transfers - thanks.

Mary Paquet said...

Fabulous. Looks like a winner! You are going to have fun picking a title from all the great suggestions. Each of them works.

Nick said...

Well I've done a lot of stuff with gesso and watercolor, but this is a new one on me. Thanks for the idea, a very cool random texture. Hmmmm. "Sup, Dawg?"

Related Posts with Thumbnails