Tuesday, January 6, 2009

EXPERIMENT FOR THE MONTH!





Here is my experiment for the month. I wanted to create a little sketchbook with good paper. I liked the results from my drawing marathon, so I used the same kind of paper. My idea for the format came from some accordian sketchbooks I had seen on line. I liked the idea of being able to see one or two drawings at a time or the whole series all at once. I had some leftover scraps from a piece of taupe mat board. After cutting the covers for the sketchbook, they were collaged with hand painted and stamped tissue. I am very pleased with the results. I used some of the "dirty glaze" (1 part micaceous iron oxide to 8 parts mat medium) using a brayer to spread the blobs I put on the paper. I used some of my favorite stamps on tissue paper and collaged them on, Right now I am planning to keep the book together but I always have the option of cutting it apart if I want to. The photos show the full spread when totally open, the cover, a double spread page and how it folds.

I may do more experiments this month, but at least I have fulfilled my stated goals. Day 6 and I am still on target!

I also prepared a sheet to redo the Zentangle image since I totally ruined the first one. I am starting to put the patterns down after creating an interesting background. We'll see. It may take several tries before I get a workable combination, but then, that's where all the fun is!

5 comments:

Nava said...

Those are fun! I like the limited palette.

Meera Rao said...

Oh wow! The sketch book itself looks like a piece of art!

RH Carpenter said...

Beautiful book, Myrna, and it will be even more so with your drawings added.

Joan Sandford-Cook said...

Clever girl making your own accordian sketchbook with such interesting 'printed' shapes and patterns. Assume you will be working sketches over the top of these?? Love the choice of colours. I'm fortunate to have had a Maruman accordian sketchbook as a Christmas gift from Anita. Have a major plan for it but not the time to start yet....
Enjoy every visit to your blog.

Mary Paquet said...

Beautiful sketch book - it looks like it was very fun to make and should be beautiful with the lovely sketches you do.

Related Posts with Thumbnails