Monday, November 24, 2008

THE BEST OF THE LOT!


Here is the drawing I liked the best from the drawing marathon. I took another photo of it and that solved the download problem.

I took a colored photo from the newspaper (It covered the entire page of the paper) and used gesso to glue it down on the watercolor paper. Gesso really isn't a good acrylic glue (matt medium is what should be used for good adherence) so part of the sheet didn't stick down. I pulled up the loose part slowly. The paper was pretty soggy. I put it down in another place on the paper . The newspaper ink started to color the gesso and created a pale beige color as I brushed over the paper. While the paper was drying I started putting thick gesso on another sheet of paper. I used a scraper with small teeth on the edge and textured the page. I then took a sheet of wax paper and brayered over the wet gesso. I then transferred what was on the wax paper to the first sheet with the newspaper on it. I hope I can create another sheet that will have this look. Sometimes lightening only strikes once.

There is going to be another Drawing Marathon at Merritt College in Oakland on Sunday, December 7th. I understand this one is even more exciting with lots of models posing simultaneously. I had better get busy preparing my papers!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like the effect you got there with the paper gesso'ed on there first. Did you pre-prepare the paper before the session? It's come out really well anyway, and I love the style that you've produced with the ink. Great effect.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE all of these - especially your favorite and the white ink on red. Thanks for posting your methods - it is very inspirational for me to see how you play so creatively! What type of white pen gave you such A BEAUTIFUL CONSISTENT LINE?

BARBARA WEEKS said...

These are all fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Exciting -- the surface, the drawing and the opportunity on the 7th!

Meera Rao said...

I love your blog - especially the fact that you describe the process. Thanks for the inspiration. You will be on my list of blogs to follow :)
Thanks again,

www.artbymeera.blogsot.com

Amy Gethins Sullivan said...

~ Every time I visit you~
I am ~ you are~ and~ I cannot keep up~
But, that is O.K.~
~because~ someday I will~
And, I love seeing everything you do~

After Christmas~ I want to do your lessons.

~Amy~

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna, I love this blog. You're an absolute inspiration. Do you have more info on the Merritt College Drawing Marathon? I went on their website but only found info about the one they had last Feb. Thank you if you do.

Molly

Sherry Pierce Thurner said...

I'm very excited to have found your blog. Thank you for all the explanations you include on the effects you achieve using gesso and various methods of creating texture.

Warm wishes,

Sherry

Related Posts with Thumbnails