Tuesday, August 19, 2008

CLAES OLDENBURG & LOUISE NEVELSON





Finally, home and trying to get back into a routine again. I didn't do any artwork while I was gone but besides the great exhibit at the Nelson Gallery Bloch Wing, I found two books I am very excited about. One is a book I saw In Jackson Hole, Wyoming which I regretted not buying. It is photographs of Indians , late 1800's. Not the ones by Curtis. Such magnificent faces, I decided I couldn't live without it. In the Denver airport during the 2 hour layover, I found a book published in 1985 with 150 photographic portraits of bald people! The photographer said he took the same photo over and over with different heads. Many are women. I am going to incorporate this book in my workshops somehow. I need to play around with it for awhile. All the faces are straight on with little or no expression. Totally fascinating. I can't wait to start using this book.

When I was going to San Francisco State, in one of my classes we made soft sculptures a la Claes Oldenburg. What Fun!!!!!! I have since seen any number of his large outdoor rigid sculptures but never any of the soft sculpture which made him famous. There were two at the gallery shown here. The first is a Saxaphone made from cloth and the other is a light switch from vinyl. Claes has been one of my favorite artists ever since I first learned about him.

The second artist who I share with you is Louise Nevelson. Her assemblage sculptures are exciting. The quote speaks for itself.

There was a wonderful piece of ceramic sculpture by Robert Arneson (another very favorite), 4 Wayne Theibauld paintings, a terrific Duane Hanson sculpture of a museum guard (so lifelike) and a group of bronze figures outside on the walkway by George Segal. Abstract Expressionism was well represented but the above mentioned artists are some of my very favorites. I relate to a sense of realism and humor. If you are not familiar with some of these artists, I hope you take the time to search them out.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails