Friday, May 23, 2008

WILLIE NELSON CENTER SEAT STEERAGE CLASS FROM DALLAS TO SAN FRAN


Here is the sketchbook page from my return flight from the Cedar Hills workshop in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area last week. I was crammed into my middle seat next to two big guys. I felt like a contortionist sketching and painting in the limited space but it passes the time and is a fun activity while flying. The first drawing was done with the Elegant Writer caligraphy pen. I started to put some color on it but the ink kept bleeding and I decided it wasn't a good decision to add color, so I started the second image drawn with a pencil and then full color applied. I love my little art kit. I still haven't put any paint in the second Altoids box but the clear plastic water bottle lids are in place so I will probably fill them before my next trip. I don't really need a second box but there is room in the small makeup case I have everything so I will take advantage of it. It just occurred to me that I should photograph the whole setup. I will take care of that tomorrow.

I heard that you can paint watercolor on regular gessoed canvas (not the "special watercolor canvas") so I am intrigued. I spent part of the day transferring one of my drawings onto a 10" square canvas and will start to paint it tomorrow. I suspect I will finish it in a few hours. This canvas has a gesso coating so I don't see why it wouldn't work as gesso accepts watercolor very nicely. I will post tomorrow the results of this experiment.

Speaking of experimenting, I just booked a workshop in Minneapolis for next year and they want a short version of the "Vern" series as the focus of the workshop. Ideas are flashing around in my head how to present this material in five days. I am looking for some "guinea pigs" in the Bay Area to try these ideas out on. If you are interested in such a class, send me a note and I will find a place and time.

6 comments:

About said...

Wonderful, wonderful! Willie Nelson has the greatest face, and you've captured it soooo well. I sure wish I was close enough to attend one of your workshop! Thanks for all the inspiration!

Anonymous said...

I would love to be your guinea pig!

Anonymous said...

I especially like the version of Willie on the left. Please do post a photo of your watercolor kit in an Altoids container; most curious to see it. Thanks!

Sunny said...

I will like to be your guinea pig.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Sunny, you need to send me an e-mail with contact information for the new workshop I am developing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Myrna,
Just the Best!! thank you for doing this.
Diana L

Related Posts with Thumbnails