Wednesday, April 16, 2008

FINISHED DEMO FOR ARTISTS BY THE BAY plus MORE WORDS OF WISDOM!



I think I have solved my distortion problem, at least when I work in my studio. I have a rolling case that has a flat top surface. By placing the painting on top of this case, I have a stable surface and I can look straight down on the image eliminating the parallax effect. It is high enough off the ground that it is comfortable to paint. You wind up painting with your whole body rather than a tightly controlled wrist movement. For demos, I could draw the image in an upright position first and then paint flat.

I have posted both the original version and the finished painting for comparison. I think it has become more sculptural, richer in tone but more textural. I love what the paint does on this Tyvek surface. It is so pleasurable for me to work on this surface. A wonderful way to spend the afternoon.

More Words of Wisdom from Bruce Mau:
2. Forget about good. Good is a known quantity. Good is what we all agree on. Growth is not necessarily good. Growth is an exploration of unlit recesses that may or may not yield to our research. As long as you stick to good you'll never have real growth.

4 comments:

Cecelia said...

Myrna, that is just gorgeous! Were you able to correct over the painting or is this another version? Just curious.

Myrna Wacknov said...

This is the same painting, shown with the changes.

Anonymous said...

So for us beginners. What is tyvek that you like working on so much. I find your paintings fascinating and inspirational. and thanks for sharing on your blog. It is one of the highlights of my day.

Myrna Wacknov said...

Tyvek is a synthetic paper similar to Yupo but with a textural surface appearance. It is really quite smooth but looks like rice paper. Paint mingles interestingly on the surface and is liftable but not as liftable as Yupo. Tyvek has many commercial applications. It is difficult to find this paper now, as all the major art suppliers have stopped carrying it. Some people use envelopes from either UPS or FedX (can't remember which one!). I purchased the smallest amount...a box of 500 sheets...from a wholesale supplier. If you want more information on the supplier, e-mail me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails