Wednesday, February 13, 2008

PLANE ART


I am finally back home just as the weather started to warm up in KC. I like to travel with some art supplies. It was a whirlwind kind of trip with no time to draw or paint except at the airport and on the plane. I tried to upload some additional drawings but the computer gods were not smiling on me tonight. This is the only one that would load. I did a sketch with the Elegant Writer and then used the water brush to create a tonal drawing. I decided to try and add some color. A friend had given me a little Koi watercolor travel set. It is so cute. The size of your palm. The quality of the paint is student grade but for a sketch book it is fine. The ink continued to run as I added color so I decided to try one with an initial pencil sketch and then color. This is the result. I am using my recycled tan colored paper sketch book so the white really shows up well! I was surprised the paper performed fairly decently with watercolor. It really isn't a wet media kind of book but the paper seems a little heavier than many sketchbooks. I am hoping to get a serious painting done this weekend. Monday I start a 4 day George James Workshop in Yupo. Can't wait!

5 comments:

Nava said...

Welcome back to blue skies!

So - - - that's what you do when you just sketch quickly, ha? Hmm... surprisingly, I do not such results on airplanes - nor anywhere else, for that matter ;-)

Hope to see you on Sunday demo!

RH Carpenter said...

I can't get out anything on a plane but a book in which I can lose myself! Painting or sketching on the plane? No, too much pressure!! Looks great, Myrna, and glad you are back home safe and sound. George James workshop? Sounds great!

Nancy Standlee said...

Hi, Myrna, I love your plane art and I can do a stretch and think our own Willie Nelson look alike. I'm looking forward to your posts about the George James Workshop. I went to Lubbock and took a 3 day one with him and still have Yupo but haven't tried it in a long time. I'm packing for a Burridge and Mel Stabin workshop - acrylic and watercolor- pack twice.
http://nancystandlee.blogspot.com

Sandy Maudlin said...

Oooh. George James. I'm taking a workshop with him ion North Carolina in April. He is great. Have a good time.

About said...

Your colorful faces have such character! It's amazing...the colors are all 'wrong', but it's perfect! Really yummy. Have fun at your workshop, you lucky girl!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails