Saturday, February 16, 2008

ABSTRACT INSPIRATIONS FROM NATURE


I should have been working on my taxes or painting today, but instead I agreed to help out a friend who wanted my "artist's eye for color" to help her select some granite for her bathroom remodel. Friendships are important so I spent the afternoon looking at tons (literally) of marble and granite slabs. I had never done this before, so I was in awe of Mother Nature's variety and beauty. The different colors and patterns were amazing. I had my camera with me thinking I might see some interesting people but what I found was a treasure trove of inspiration for future paintings !!! I don't know how much help I was to my friend because I became lost in my own little world, photographing like mad. I wound up with 141 shots and have put 41 of them into a slide show to inspire you to find inspiration in unlikely places (and always have your camera or sketch book with you). There was one slab that was a fabricated piece...a composite of gemstone like pieces in a mosaic. I don't know how they did it but the slab was priced at $20,000. I could have photographed sections of this piece for days. Some of the images in the slide show come from this piece and some from different natural slabs of stone. I have "enhanced" all of them in Photoshop Elements so the colors are more intense and the values are exaggerated.
Tomorrow I am DEFINITELY going to work on my taxes and paint!

5 comments:

Nava said...

Stunning!! Absolutely!

I once accompanied RabkieM to a marble and granite place, and was amazed by the variety and selection and gorgeousness - but never thought of actually photographing them. See - that what makes you so incredibly creative! On the other hand, we went for a walk in the park and I kept admiring the spills of tar on the road which had some great line work!

About said...

I just popped in for a quick peek, to see if you had anything new...and got completely hypnotized by the slide show!!! At one point, I believe my mouth was hanging open...this is incredibly beautiful, inspiring stuff! Thanks for sharing it with us. Just yummy!

Anonymous said...

I too have a group of marble photos from "helping" a friend choose some
granite. I fell in love with the most
outrageous and expensive pieces. None
of which she picked.

RH Carpenter said...

Having come from a house-warming party at a friend's house last evening and seeing their shiny new just built and moved into place, I know what you mean about granite tops. Now I know I could have taken my camera and kept myself amused for hours photographing their new counter tops, rather than ready to fly out the door each time it opened (I am not a party person)!

Sandy Maudlin said...

STUNNING! Thanks so much for sharing. Love it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails