Friday, January 4, 2008

STAGE 3 AND 4 ARE DONE



I worked on stage 3 as long as I could stand it but the urge to get the texture going was finally overwhelming. I didn't want to use black ink so i decided full strength Hydrus in a dark color might substitute and give a brighter result. Jean Pederson's work tends to be fairly neutral so black works well with her images. I thought it would look terrible with the palette I was working with. I mixed chrome yellow with the gesso and used Paynes Gray initially but that didn't look right so I switched to a turquoise and that created more harmony. Once I got started, I couldn't stop! I kept spraying and dripping and messing and messing and I think that's what I have, a mess! These techniques always look so much easier in the book. I did start to see what happens with the gesso and water. I splattered some alcohol on it to break up the surface a little more. I think I over did it with gesso on the face, too. I will work on it one more session and see what happens. Sometimes the best thing to do is evaluate what you did, what you learned, what you would do differently next time and then start again.

So far, I have met the challenge requirements....a vertical composition, red orange mother color and texture dominant but do I have an interesting painting? Not yet.

3 comments:

Nava said...

It's different than the way you usually paint, but I wouldn't call it a mess. It's more like the way I paint (hmm... OK, I paint messy!).

You got some really cool textures in there, and the repetition of the turquoise in the face and hair are brilliant! What's next?

RH Carpenter said...

I wouldn't call this a mess, either, and think just a few well-placed darks would make it zing. I really like the color combo!

About said...

I found your site through Michelle Himes blog...and what an inspiration! I have been stuck in a rut for awhile, but cruising through all of these fantastic blogs has really given me a kick start. Great challenges, and thanks so much for sharing your process!

Related Posts with Thumbnails