Friday, October 12, 2007

MAGNIFICENT MAGNIFIED DRAWINGS

Finally, I am back home and able to share with everyone these exciting contributions to the "Magnified" drawing challenge. This is from Kathy Mitchell and here is what she had to say about the process: "I have to say this was a difficult challenge for me.
I do not have your courage andI tired quickly of
staring at at my wrinkles. Therefore, these are relatively
quick sketches done with ball point pen
and calligraphy marker. The angle of the mirror
and the curve have distorted the features just
enough that I am familiar, but not exact."




Did you recognize Nava? Here is what she had to say: "I look very worried in the first one, so I decided to kill the seriousness, and went for a more unique pose....and so, here I am in the second one, making fish face. It was a truly fun exercise. Though I do not have a serious magnifying mirror (I used the Mary Kay one I got from you), it did force me to really, really look at myself. I discovered some interesting things about the inside of my eyes, found new chins I never knew I had (thank you very much for that!), and - in the second version, I worked hard on trying to render the smile I had in my eyes. It was fascinating to see how little wrinkles and puffs below the eyes make the smile, even when the lips are so distorted! On the other hand, holding the fishy pose for 30 minutes is truly painful.... I do suffer for my art!"

If you enjoy Nava's delightful writing as well as her great drawings, check out her blog by clicking on the link on the right side of the page.

I am going to post a separate post for this Friday's new art challenge.

2 comments:

Nava said...

Kathy's drawings are wonderful!!

(and my face is back to normal now :-)

Evolving Expressions said...

It is interesting to see the different styles of different artists, Nava's portrait is very delicate, and Kathy's portrait is bold and they both have a lot of beautiful artistic values.

Related Posts with Thumbnails