Friday, September 28, 2007

DRAWING CHALLENGE #1: WIRE SCUPLTURE DRAWING





My blogger plan was to create challenges for myself and to encourage others to join in. Now that I am up and running, it is time to put the plan into action. Each Friday I will create a drawing challenge for the week and at the beginning of each month, I will post a painting challenge for that month. If you would like to participate, send me a photo of your finished drawing and/or painting and let me know if you want me to post it on this website. Even if you don't want to show it to the world, I definitely want to see what you are accomplishing.
I LOVE wire sculpture because it is like a 3-D drawing. I have seen some incredible work and even broke down and bought the one pictured here. One image is straight on but the 2nd is at an angle so you can see the 3-D effect. Recently, I was drawing in my sketchbook, getting familiar with some of the faces I had photographed and I was trying to simplify and just get the essence of the person when I hit on the idea to draw the face as if I would create a wire sculpture. This created some interesting and exciting images! So, that is our first challenge - A Drawing that could be translated into wire. I am posting a photograph and resulting drawings to give you the idea.



I am also posting an image for you to use....or use any of your own. It doesn't have to be a head. It can be any object. Do lots of blind contour drawings, modified contour drawings etc. to get familiar with the image and then simplify it down to it's essence. Don't forget that your lines have to "connect" to another line but can twist and wrap and bend etc.

If you click on this image, you will have a bigger image to work from.

1 comment:

Nava said...

thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU!!

Getting challenges and sharing them is a brilliant idea! This wire sculpture drawing is a neat idea, and I'm going to go for it. It might cure me of my refusal to close lines...

Related Posts with Thumbnails